Sunday, April 17, 2011

Trip to the South

Two weeks ago my mom and I took a trip to the South to see Savannah and Charleston. I have always wanted to see the South and was not disappointed! We had a blast and have such fun memories from the trip.

It was the perfect trip with a mixture of relaxing at the beach, exploring new cities, and eating lots of good food. I fell in love with the houses there and spent the majority of my time taking pictures of porches and windows. I came home and realized I only had 1 or 2 pictures of an entire house, oh well. We stayed on Hilton Head Island since it was a somewhat central location. Lucky for us our connection was in Chicago- the world's worse airport- so we were delayed for 4 hours and arrived in Savannah about 2 am. We sacked out that night and woke up and headed to Savannah. I can't say enough about this city, I fell in love. My friend Megan went to school there and gave me all the best places to eat and see. She didn't disappoint. We got on a trolley and explored the city hopping on and off whenever something caught our eye. The architecture, the people, the food, the shopping, and the quaintness were all to die for. I'm already looking forward to someday going back!

The next day we stayed at the hotel and spent the day at the beach. I had never seen east coast beaches before, since I grew up on the west coast. I loved the tall grass. It was perfect weather that day too. We went into town that night and saw a lighthouse and ate dinner on the water at The Salty Dog, which is supposedly famous but had terrible food. My mom said thats what I get for ordering chicken at a seafood restaurant. She is probably right. I tried hush puppies, deep fried cornbread, and lets just say good thing I don't live in the south because I would have them with every meal. Grits, on the other hand, I could do without. I don't have any pictures from this day- whoops!

The next day we headed to Charleston. It took about 2 hours to get there, but we didn't mind because the drive was so pretty. Charleston was such a cute beach town. We took a carriage tour and learned all about the history. We explored the town, ate some more good food, shopped around, and then headed home that night after dinner.

Before we headed to downtown Charleston we stopped at Magnolia Plantation. It was GORGEOUS. I couldn't stop snapping pictures. We learned all about how plantations worked back in the day, the slave quarters, and all about farming in the South. The family that built this plantation still owns it today.

Our last day we spent in a little town called Beaufort that my mom had been to before and had been telling me about ever since. It was a quaint town with a bunch of little islands surrounding it that you could drive on to. We went and saw a beach that reminded of Where the Wild Things Are and saw an amazing lighthouse. Well worth the trip.


We headed home the next day and luckily our flight in Chicago was on time- I was so excited to see Trevor!

I had such a blast with my mom. The trip was so much fun and I can't thank my mom enough for taking me. I loved the South and seeing a new part of the United States. The geography major in me loves it!

1 comment:

  1. looks amazing! I've only spent a few days in the south and have always wanted to spend more time there. sounds so fun!

    ReplyDelete